Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"A Flower in a flower..."







This is what my daughter Maxi said when she saw our colorful zinnias, and I thought that was so sweet, and observant, too, I never thought of them that way! We had a little cook-out the week of the 4th, and Steve picked mason jars of zinnias and set on the outdoor tables, we had a big fan blowing and the stereo outside and waited till evening, it was so nice to have the kids home with their friends and family all together. We feasted like royalty on grilled steaks and veggies, corn bread salad with fresh tomatoes and cilantro, and frozen cookies and ice cream, yum! As hot as it's been, I know I will miss summer when it's over with all it's rich bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables.






Every year I like to raise zinnias to have plenty of cut flowers in and around the house, and this year they have not disappointed in their brilliant colors. They really do seem to have the tiniest of flowers surrounding each center, and look so pretty when mixed with the lilies, glads and bachelor buttons.

No comments: