Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Colors of Nuno-felting

I'm so excited to be teaching my Nuno-felted Scarf class at Sawtooth this weekend and also at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton, VA next week! "Nuno" is a Japanese term for "cloth"; when we nuno-felt, we start with a hand-dyed silk chiffon scarf as a base, and then "fuse" fibers of hand-dyed wool merino, silk, bamboo, curly mohair, and Angelina to make a beautiful one-of-a-kind art scarf that students will be able to wear out of class. (OK it might be a bit wet though!) I dye all the scarves for my classes by hand, and I usually bring a solid black one or 2 just in case. I love color! And I try to bring a nice variety of hues for students to choose from.



Once students have chosen their scarf, they then hand-pick their choice of wool fibers and embellishments to add to their palette. I always bring lots of photos and samples for inspiration too.

The layouts vary from free-form abstract in analogous hues:
 To a vibrant explosion of flowers on a sea of blue:
Or a simple geometric grid:
Or perhaps colorful circles:
And yes, we do believe in "coloring" outside the lines! I can't wait to see what my students will come up with next!

No comments: