Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Asheville Fiber Winter Retreat














What a wonderful, magical weekend we had in Asheville at the fiber Winter Retreat hosted by Friends and Fiberworks at the Biltmore Square Mall! At first I was worried about the snow, but we didn't have any problems with travel and the main roads there were clear, what a blessing that was. The weekend truly was a re-"treat" away from the real world as we were plunged into a land of fibers, fun 'n felting, all in one place! Classes were held in some of the vacant shops and other areas in the mall, and I was lucky enough to get to take a fantastic class on how to dye fibers in a crock-pot under Anne-Marie before starting my teaching schedule, which kept me pretty busy the rest of the weekend. I met so many wonderful fellow felters and fiber-holics, shared inspirations and ideas, and hopefully encouraged my students to continue their dream of creating fiber art, they all made the most beautiful felted flowers, wool beads, geodes, needle-felted garments, and nuno-felted scarves, see some of the photos from my classes above. The folks at Friends and Fiberworks were awesome, they were so nice and went out of their way to help out with bringing us water for classes and things. And the vendors! So many delectable fibers, yarns and goodies there, it's a good thing for my pocketbook I didn't have much time to shop! I did manage to squeeze in an hour of running around and grabbing things right at the end of the show. There was lots of other fiber stuff going on, too, spinning, knitting, weaving, shibori dyeing, something for everyone. And psst: the buzz is that we may get to do it again this summer...I'll be sure to keep you posted!

No comments: