Saturday, March 9, 2013

Water Pixie

Yesterday I visited the Charlotte Quilters Guild show as a spectator, wow! That was so different for me, such a treat to be able to look and network to my heart's content. Brought back memories of a few years ago when my daughter Maxi Clontz helped me vend this show. She was still in high school and met a friend from Charlotte there; when things slowed down toward the end of the day, she got bored and drew this lovely Water Pixie. I thought her artwork was so beautiful, too precious to waste! And so I decided to develop it into a pattern for a pillow or wall hanging. I used a blue ombre fabric for the background and added   the larger elements: the tree, clouds, island, and of course, her fairie. Then I "fussy-cut" flowers and plants to add color and visual texture to the piece, fusing some to the pillow but fusing some to another fabric and then cutting them out so they were a little dimensional. I added a bit of shading and highlighting with fabric inks, especially on the pixie and sunshine in the background. I then quilted the piece with free-motion quilting (I have all of this in the pattern including the quilting lines) and added a bit of beading for a little bling! Prairie points are my finishing touch to edage the pillow in purple batiks, who doesn't love purple? I hope you enjoy this celebration of my daughter's artwork...you can show your support by voting for this pillow in at www.quiltinggallery.com in the Quilter's Show and Tell, ours is the last quilted pillow, the Water Pixie; leave a comment to be eligible to win a free quilters' international cookbook!

No comments: