Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Mid-Atlantic Felting Classes

I had the best students in my classes at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton, VA! Many of the gals in my Wool Geode class had never felted before, and I was so proud of them, they did a wonderful job on their geodes. This class is a little bit physical and takes some patience too, as they have to wait until their geode dries completely before cutting it (lol, ask me how I know!) But they were real troopers, and several of them came back a day or 2 later and let me cut them, they were absolutely gorgeous! I know this looks like a simple project, who can't felt a ball? But it really is a challenge to get that nice shape and felt it through all those layers even to the inside...they did an awesome job.















The next class, my Mini-felted Bag, was completely different. Oh, we still had the most wonderful students, in fact, some of them took both my classes. But this project had about, oh, 15 steps as opposed to the handful of steps in the geode class. The girls got to choose from my basic kits of coordinating hand-dyed merino wool fibers and a stronger fiber for the inner bag for durability. Then they all visited my "embellishment buffet" of goodies: hand-dyed bamboo fibers, lace, silk threads, metallic Angelina fibers, wool nepps, metallic mesh, curly fibers, and so forth...all sorts of yummy things to add some punch to their bags. I also brought in photos of flowers I had taken for their inspiration. What artists they were! And they learned to felt with a resist. Their bags turned out just gorgeous! I was so proud of each and every one, and I think they learned quite a bit too. We're already planning out next year's classes!

No comments: