Monday, March 26, 2012

Wooly Pincushions


When I ran by the store yesterday to pick up a few things, I made my usual pit stop in the magazine section and was thrilled to see the new Spring issue of Simple Quilts & Sewing on the newstand! This edition includes my Wooly Lamb & Chick Pincushions, they are quick and easy to make out of Woolfelt and can be enhanced with some simple decorative pins. There are so many cute buttons on the market these days! I especially love these little black-faced sheep as shown on the decorative pin on my Lamb in the photo above. To make the pins, I use 3" doll needles and simply sew a pretty button over the eye end of the needle. (If I'm using a regular round button, I might use 2 buttons with the needle sandwiched in between.) Then use a drop of glue to secure the buttons; I like Aleene's Glass & Bead Adhesive, but tacky glue works too. Let the glue dry, and voila! A one-of-a-kind decorative pin. You can also use longer 5" needles and fancy beads to make your own decorative hatpins with the same technique, fun and they make nice little gifts.

No comments: