Saturday, March 27, 2010

Nuno-felted Scarf Kits


Just watched the end of a visual feast of a movie about the life of fashion designer Valentino, what a talent! Evidently he officially retired in 2008, and the film showed clips of his final show, wow, talk about a party! Not only were the gowns amazing, the crowd full of familiar faces, there was a spectacular fireworks display at the end complete with ethereal air-borne girls "floating" around in long drapey dresses (obviously made of silk from their weightless appearance) to the music of beautiful opera - well, at least in the movie.

I've always had a fascination (if not the wallet) for couturier clothing, and majored in clothing design while in college. Of course, we all know life has led me down a different road - I was born in the "Year of the Sheep", after all - but I do still indulge in a love of wearable art, fiber art in particular. And so one of my favorite aspects of teaching fiber art is gathering up the supplies and putting together the kits, especially for my Nuno-felted Scarf classes! I love seeing the play of textures between the hand-dyed silk scarves, merino wool fibers, and novelty fibers, and imagining how each work of art might look. Of course, each student's piece turns out different, and that's the best part, seeing what they do with the techniques they learn in class. This morning I had the pleasure of getting out all the beautiful fibers I've been collecting throughout my travels and seeing how they look with the silk colors...I like it! Had to take a picture in today's spring sunshine...what do you think?

No comments: