Friday, May 19, 2017

"Marbling on Wool" projects

I'm so thrilled and honored to have an article in the new June/July issue of Quilting Arts magazine! I had such a great time playing with the technique of "Marbling on Wool", and was so excited to be able to share my passion and discoveries with others. Not only are the possibilities limitless with the Tsukineko inks on wools, but there are so many types of projects this fun technique can be used for. The magazine showcased the steps for marbling so clearly from the photos I sent, they really made it easy for anyone to understand exactly what to do I think. I thought you might like to see some of the projects I made using the marbled wool too, so here are a few.
 This marbled background panel was the result of placing wool in the leftover shaving cream that still had some ink left but after the first wool fabric had been marbled, thus the blurred effect. The bird silhouette I cut out from black Woolfelt and fused on top of the marbled wool, which I layered over a larger black Woolfelt rectangle and sewed onto a tote bag.
 I added rectangles of marbled wool to this Woolfelt rotary cutter holder and also the cover for this photo book. I also used the same technique to add color to the sari silk tie and pearl cotton I used to embellish the photo album, which I also added a bit of stenciling to.
 This swirly technique is shown in the magazine, and this is exactly the piece I marbled with the ink pattern that is illustrated in the article. I then stitched it onto a chartreuse Woolfelt rectangle, which was hand-sewn to a denim tote bag.
I love this piece! I cut out 3" circles from all my experiments with marbling wool, and blind-stitched them onto a long black Woolfelt table runner. They reminded me of miniature china plates! I plan to hang this vertically on a narrow strip of wall in my hallway. I hope you enjoy experimenting with your marbled wool!

No comments: