Friday, January 21, 2011

Power Felting!


I tried something new yesterday - nuno-felting with a sander! My roomie Suzanne Morgan at the Asheville Friends & Fiberworks Winter Retreat last weekend gave me the basics of Power Felting 101 and then I came home and did some investigating on the 'net to fill in the gaps. The main issue for me was the safety factor, as you are working with an electrical power tool and water, not the best combo. But I was extremely careful and even called my friend Carolyn to be my "back-up" in case I did something stupid (like electrocute myself.) The technique worked well, you can see my first sample in the photo above...but I ended up frying 2 of my husband's sanders by the end of the day. Oops. Guess I should've let the thing cool off once in a while instead of trying it out on a full day of felting. Well it's off to Lowe's this weekend to get a replacement model (the sander that is.)

No comments: