Thursday, August 12, 2010

Asheville Quilt Show 2010






Last weekend was the annual Asheville Quilt Show, this was my first year there as a vendor and what a great weekend it was! I met my friend Lorin near the Biltmore Square Mall on Wednesday, and we made a quick trip downtown to do some fun shopping 'n sightseeing before dinner and a busy show schedule. Next day was set-up, lots of work, but the rotary club had lots of men there to help and despite some set-backs, everyone had their booths ready and filled with the most wonderful wares by the time the show opened on Friday morning.

Lorin and I took some time out Thursday evening to see the quilt show itself, and were not disappointed - the quilts were spectacular! The machine and hand-work shown were just amazing, and the creative ladies who made them so nice and eager to share their creative energy. The Shady Ladies in particular had a gorgeous display of talent, both at the arboretum and also in the room where my booth was in the Biltmore Square Mall. I was so lucky to be standing in front of a quilt that was drenched in fabric beads and beautiful quilting when its proud creator walked up; she was so sharing in the way she created her work of art, I was ready to come home and start making some fabric beads! I was also touched by the Blue Ridge Parkway Anniversary Quilt, and of course the art quilts upstairs were just amazing, I'm posting a few photos of my favorites, sadly my camera ran out of energy before I did.

I was also excited to visit the Friends & FiberWorks Shop at the Biltmore Square Mall and meet Lisa & Terry; they have a fabulous store chock-full of the most luscious yarns, fibers and hand-made jewelry and buttons, and they have fun classes in knitting and fiber arts nearly every day! I had such a great response to my Nuno-felted Scarf and also my Wet-felted Wool Flowers, and am hoping to get back up there and teach a class or 2 at their 2011 Winter Retreat next January, how fun would that be! Lots of talent in those mountains, and I feel so honored that folks were appreciative of my creative endeavors too. All in all, it was a fantastic show.

No comments: