Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fantastic Fibers 2011


Back in February I started playing around with zippers; I made a couple of fun flower pins with some metal-teeth zippers, some I had on hand, some I found at a couple of local shops. When I was invited to teach the zipper flower, I started experimenting with fiber art that was a bit edgier in using zippers. I designed an original necklace using one of my wool geode pendants, some of my hand-felted wool beads, and some glass beads, all held together by - you guessed it- a zipper! I even left the tab on at the bottom and attached a decorative dangly bead to it. I was so pleased with the outcome I decided to enter it into a national fiber show and am thrilled to share, out of a whopping 432 entries, my little zipper necklace was one of the lucky ones (58 of them) to make it into the exhibit! Fantastic Fibers 2011 is at the Yeiser Art Center, 200 Broadway in Paducah, KY 42001 for the entire month of April. If you happen to be going to Paducah for the big quilt show, I hope you'll check out the fiber show too! My piece is titled (what else?) "A Zipper Runs Through It", and I'd love to have a photo of my piece in the show if you go. For more info on the show, you can call the Yeiser Art Center at (270) 442-2453 or visit their web-site www.theyeiser.org

2 comments:

lettielulu said...

Vicki, congratulations! Your talents are endless.

Julie and I will be in Paducah, but don't know if we'll be able to get away from the booth (We hope, hope, hope not!) But if we do we'll try to find the exhibit and take a pic....Auntie Ju's Quilt Shoppe

ButtonMad said...

That's really clever...never been to Paducah but oh it's on my wish list....hope to exhibit at Houston again this year though