Monday, June 7, 2010

Spring Quilt Shows

I have to say, our NC quilters just keep getting better and better! At the recent "Garden of Quilts" Show hosted by the Gate City Quilters' Guild in Greensboro, I had the good fortune to have my booth directly across from the 2 top-ranking quilts in the show, absolutely amazing! There was a wealth of talent showcased that weekend, with quilts spilling over even onto the sidewalks of this church's beautiful garden. It was great to catch up with so many folks I knew, and the guild really pampered us vendors, with delectable muffins and good strong coffee every morning, yum!



My friend Audrey Flock came to the show one day and was telling me about a class she was going to teach the following week on a Crocheted Button Necklace. It just so happened that the thread you use is what I carry, size 5 pearl cotton, I usually have both solids and variegated colorways. Audrey was sweet enough to invite me to come to her class, and I did, it was so much fun! I hadn't crocheted since I was a teenager, my grandma had tried to teach me in her later years, but I never could seem to keep my stitches even. With Audrey's help I was able to get through almost half the necklace during our class, and came home and finished it, you can see it in the photo, I was just thrilled! What a great class, and Audrey was just a wonderful teacher.



Of course then I had to order more patterns, pearl cotton and buttons to share with my customers at the NC Quilt Symposium in Charlotte, and they liked it as much as me! That was another amazing show, so many gorgeous quilts, a very high caliber of work...I even won a little ribbon for my "Desert Rose" Wearable Ensemble. I ran into folks I'd met in VA and even NJ, and made some new friends too, all in all a great time. Can't wait for next year's symposium in Raleigh.

No comments: