Friday, January 22, 2010

Wearable Art

Maybe it's the cold weather, but my Flirty Fedora hat pattern has sure gotten a lot of attention lately! The same week we made ours in the wearable arts group in China Grove, 2 quilt shops also ordered patterns for hat classes of their own. One of the shop's teachers, Katherine P. of Sneeds Sew & Vac in Charleston, WV, was kind enough to let me share her gorgeous hat photo with you, shown below left; I love the lace and feathers Katherine used to embellish her hat, the textures work together beautifully, especially with the herringbone wool. Thanks so much, Katherine!

I myself have been working on some of my own wearable art for a certain quilt show coming up at the end of Feb. and submitted photos and application this week - yay! Can't divulge the actual ensemble yet, but I sure enjoyed gathering up the fabrics 'n fibers in shades of apricot, pinks and desert rose. Amazingly, the fibers I dyed during our fiber workshop in Greesnboro last Nov. with Wilton icing gels were the perfect harmonizing colors to blend with the 6 silk textiles and various cottons and blends I used to create my design (see photo below left.) Maybe I'll see you in Hampton this year where hopefully my art will be on display!

No comments: