Friday, December 18, 2009

Fresh snow

Today we're getting our first snowfall of the season! I'm listening to the tinkle of ice against our roof, thankful to have a warm home, most of my family here, and to be almost ready for Christmas, barely a week away. I ran my errands early today, found a couple of new books on tape to listen to while I sew, and I am ready to be snowed in! Well for an evening anyway, it can all go away by Sunday to make room for our daughter coming safely home.

Hard to believe Christmas is almost here! The fall has absolutely flown by, I don't think I've ever had so many shows, programs and classes, and I have had a blast doing it all. We had a wonderful Needle-felt Sweater Purse Class with those sweet Kernersville gals back in September, and I was so proud of the beautiful bags the girls made...and they hardly broke any felting needles! What a creative group. Then came the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Chantilly, where I taught a couple of pincushion classes, saw many old friends and made some new ones. And then, the most exciting show...Houston Quilt Market! This was my first year vending there, and I was thrilled beyond words at the response I had to my patterns, especially my Pincushion of the Month Club. I'm planning to go back next fall, and who knows? I may even try vending both Market and Festival next time, I can't remember when I've had so much fun! Or worked so hard, it was absolutely exhilarating and also very exhausting, especially that drive...but you know, it was all worth it.

Since Houston I've done some local things; the Asheboro Quilt Show was so nice, I really enjoyed being near the guild boutique and chatting with the girls there, and we had beautiful fall weather too. And one of my favorite activities was the felting classes with the Piedmont Quilters Guild in November, we had so much fun dyeing fibers and wet-felting, and what pretty fiber projects emerged from our classes! I look forward to teaching more felting and wool workshops next year.

Speaking of next year, I can hardly believe that 2010 will mark the 20-year anniversary of my pattern company, Annie's Keepsakes! How things have changed since my daughter was toddling around and I was a stay-at-home mom, wanting to work from home, make a little money, satisfy my creative needs and provide a nurturing home for my family. Keeping a business alive and thriving is no small feat, and I have some exciting activities planned to celebrate this milestone event! More on that later...tonight I am just enjoying my family and being thankful for the holidays that bring us all together once more.

No comments: